There have been a number of interesting posts on AZphp lately about what PHP Frameworks people use. The consensus seems to be that no one uses them, it seems highly unlikely that every framework out there sucks but since I don’t use any open source php frameworks maybe they aren’t all that great.
Most frameworks out there seem to be highly complex, well offering low levels of flexibility. They are a pain to install, manage, and customize. It might be the nature of PHP not mixing well with frameworks inspired by Java or other OO languages.
What im looking for in a Application Framework is
- User Management
- Security/Permissions framework, allowing basic and complex models through an easy to understand reusable model
- Database abstraction with optional Database-Object mapping
- Templating engine – using an abstraction layer so I can use Savant and foolish people can use Smarty
- CMS functionality that can be integrated with standard coded pages
- Component framework that allows smart objects like calendars, message boards, form widgets, data grid, etc to be easily embedded into pages
- Enough documentation for new developers to easily extend the framework with new components or to create fullscale applications, while allowing users to easily use the cms functionality
Guess thats enough wishing for now, if anyone has something that has these features let me know.